Today's Quote

I have learnt that you need four times as much water, twice as much money, and half as many clothes as you think you need at the outset -- Gavin Esler

Sunday, July 28, 2013

This is why I can't have nice things

...for the next year at least. I think I’ve left my iPod on the train to Sweden, since I can’t find it anymore. I specifically didn’t want to bring anything very expensive or irreplaceable with me because I knew I would run the risk of losing/leaving/breaking pretty much everything I am bringing, but I think it’s interesting that first in line to be lost was the 2nd-most expensive (behind the phone), and probably the least useful. When I’m constantly packing and unpacking, it’s not surprising that something is going to go missing, but I had hoped to go a little longer than 3 weeks before it happened.

My favorite lunch place in Stockholm, the fried herring stand. Only $6 for a herring burger,yum!!
Oh well, on to thoughts on Sweden so far; it’s pretty cool. I think I preferred Gothenberg to Stockholm because Gothenberg is smaller and more manageable, but both seem to be cool cities, and I’m having a good time exploring. I’ve been looking forward to seeing the differences between Norway and Sweden, since I knew very little about either culture before arriving, and there are a couple I’m picking up on, some of which are differences, some are similarities, and some are just unexpected.

Viking rune stone from the Swedish History Museum.
Biggest complaint about Norway and Sweden: not enough Viking stuff!
  • The Swedes seem to be a little less reserved than their neighbors; I’ve heard a lot more boisterous laughter and seen more hugging between friends. But they also seem to be a little more conservative in their dress - a little more. I’m talking about the difference between very short shorts and just short shorts here. 
  • Sweden also seems to be about 10-15% less expensive than Norway, which isn’t cultural, but it is welcome. 
  • I don’t know why this is, but I also seem to be having more trouble deciphering Swedish, which is being exacerbated by the fact that Sweden is slightly less English-friendly than Norway is, in terms of signage and announcements. Don’t get me wrong, everyone still seamless switches to English when I start talking to them, but I definitely detect an undercurrent of “we’ve got a perfectly good language of our own, so don’t expect us to cater to you just because you want to come and hang around” (i.e., what I think of as the “French attitude”). Which is perfectly reasonable, of course, it’s just noticeable after being in Norway. 
  • Both countries feel exceedingly safe and comfortable. There are signs everywhere about being on guard about pickpocketing, but there is a vibe you get in cities that are familiar with violent crime, and that feeling is almost completely absent in Norway and Sweden. In fact, the only country I’ve felt safer was Japan. 
  • In the same way, one of the most obvious signs of a highly-evolved society has to be clean, free, public bathrooms; I’m not saying Scandinavia has reached this point, but they’re closer than most anywhere else I’ve been. 
And then here are a couple of things that have surprised me.

Stumbled across the "Sweeny Todd Hair Salon" in Stockholm, complete with fake foot-in-a-meat-grinder prop.
This owner has to be an insane theater fan, and not a great businessman.
  • I’ve heard as much Bob Marley in Scandinavia as I expect in the Caribbean. The hostels have been playing his music, as was the farmer’s market, and a couple of stores. It’s amazing how a musician whose music is almost all about struggle, religion, and poverty has translated into an international symbol of laid back good times. 
  • And speaking of cultural imports, I passed a tabloid with Kim Kardashian on the cover yesterday, and it may me wonder how she can be famous here too. I don’t even know why she’s famous in the States, how can she be a celebrity here? 
  • Finally, both Swedes and Weegies seem to be really into tattoos. Hmmm, lots of tattoos, bike-friendly, green, rainy most of the time... In a lot of ways, being in Scandinavia is like being in a very clean-cut, polite version of Portland, Oregon, if such a thing were possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment